Book Discussion with Rabbi Barry Cytron: Nemesis by Philip Roth
With Rabbi Barry Cytron and Heidi Schneider • Sunday, June 28 • 10:30 a.m. • RSVP to [email protected] to join
We’ll be discussing “Nemesis” by Philip Roth
Rabbi Cytron’s Questions to Think About While Reading:
1) What is Horace doing in the book? And the “Italians?”
2) How much is this a book about FDR’s polio? How important is that?
3) Does the book seem nostalgic in any way? How?
4) Who is telling the story and does is matter when the reader learns the narrator’s identity?
5) In what ways, If any, does this story resonate to our common 2020 American lives? In what ways is COVID-19 our version of the mid-century Polio epidemic that Roth explores in NEMESIS?