Open Until Filled
TITLE: Development Officer
FUNCTIONAL AREA: Development Team
REPORTS TO: Chief Development Officer
STATUS: FT, Exempt
To raise funds for the Jewish Community by developing donors’ personal relationships with the Minneapolis Jewish Federation and the Jewish Community Foundation. To create a sustainable pipeline of future support and connection with the Federation thereby ensuring the strength and growth of the Jewish community in Minneapolis. This work includes, securing gifts from individual and corporate donors, identifying and qualifying prospective donors, cultivating and stewarding current donors, as well as engaging volunteer leaders and campaign workers. This position is also responsible for developing and managing the MJF corporate and business partners program.
As a representative of Minneapolis Jewish Federation and Jewish Community Foundation, you will work to connect donors’ philanthropic goals with organizations and work supporting the Jewish community both locally and abroad, as well as other community needs in Minnesota and around the world.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Program/Team/Function Overall Position Expectation(s)
- Identifying, qualifying and building philanthropic relationships with donors capable of making major gifts at the $10,000+ levels for the Annual Campaign, Foundation and Capital and Endowment Campaign.
- Partner with the Chief Development Officer and the Prospect Development team to identify, contact, and qualify individuals.
- Conduct calls to qualify/discover and assess new and lapsed donors with the financial capacity to make gifts of $10,000 or more, and to secure personal visits and substantive contacts with these donors.
- Develop and cultivate approximately 150 actively managed donor Households and approximately 50 prospects for qualification/discovery.
- Develop and implement strategies and engagement plans for each prospect, including ways to increase involvement of donors and prospects in the activities of the Federation and the Jewish Community.
- Create and implement cultivation structures to develop a mutually beneficial philanthropic relationship with donors.
- Meet defined visit and solicitation goals.
- Work closely with lay leaders, volunteers, and other stakeholders to achieve the overall Minneapolis Jewish Federation and Jewish Community Foundation development goals.
- Complete and file timely contact reports. Maintain accurate and relevant records within the Federation donor management system.
- Attend Minneapolis Jewish Federation and Jewish Federations of North America events, trainings and missions/global experiences to create, cultivate, and maintain relationships with donors.
Solicit Gifts and Ensure Donor Stewardship
- Execute moves/actions steps on behalf of and in collaboration with the development team.
- Develop and coordinate proposals for major gifts within the portfolio and in collaboration on shared prospects with the Foundation and any supplemental, emergency, capital campaigns.
- Solicit major and planned gifts when appropriate.
- Ensure the appropriate stewardship process is in place and executed for all donors within assigned portfolio and, in collaboration with development team, implement strategy for engagement.
Develop and Manage Corporate Giving Program and Stewardship
- Research, identify, cultivate, solicit and steward relationships with MJF current and potential corporate and business partners
- Create strategies to maintain and grow corporate funding resulting in annual contributions, grants, program and events sponsorships, workplace giving, in-kind donations and/or other engagement activities..
- Together with the Director of Donor Relations and Stewardship and the CDO, create meaningful multi-level corporate stewardship plans.
- Manage grant and funding proposals and work collaboratively with other staff to meet application and reporting deadlines for funders.
- Build strong relationships with companies and organizations by attending networking, civic and social events.
- Work with sponsors to negotiate, finalize and execute contracts and sponsor benefits.
- Assume other responsibilities on the Development team as needed
Experience and Qualifications
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree; 5 or more years of experience in development with a demonstrated successful ability to secure major gifts. Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills and ability to work within a donor centric and data driven development practice which includes experience working Customer Relationship Management systems (CRMs). Proficient use of Microsoft Office and other current technologies.
- Preferred: Advanced Degree; Knowledge of Jewish Community, Volunteer and team management experience, Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead people to work collaboratively; Experience with Salesforce CRM; Capital and Endowment Campaign experience; Degree in Jewish Communal studies or related field.
- CERTIFICATION(S): No certifications are necessary. CFRE or Planned Giving certification or experience favorable.
- SCHEDULE FLEXIBILITY: Able to work early mornings, evenings and weekends as required
- Uphold and exemplify the leadership and behavioral competencies of the organization
- Execute professional, high-level customer service, both internally and externally
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings
- Carry out all other duties as deemed necessary to achieve organizational and team-specific goals
How To Apply:
Send cover letter and resume to Lisa Michalik at [email protected]
No phone calls please