Open Until Filled
Herzl Camp is a welcoming, independent camp where young people become self-reliant, create lasting Jewish friendships, and develop commitment and love for Judaism and Israel. Herzl Camp creates a vibrant Jewish community of future leaders.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Herzl Camp and Camp’s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. By developing deep knowledge of the Jewish camping field, core programs, operations, and business plans, they will embody our goal of Excellence in Leadership across all staff members. Our goal is to broaden the impact on the future of the Jewish camping experience in North America. Our Executive Director will lead the charge.
Are you someone who wants to make an impact? Do you want to work with inspired and like-minded camping professionals? We take our work very seriously, and we have fun doing it. We are searching for a passionate, talented leader to guide us into our future.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Lead, coach, and develop the organization’s Senior Leadership Team. This is core to the growth of Herzl.
- Actively engage and energize Herzl and Camp’s volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors (Association and Foundation); serve as ex-officio of each committee or assign appropriate staff to oversee them; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for both ongoing short-term projects and long-term initiatives.
- Responsible to create, maintain, and execute against the approved annual budget.
- Build a strong summer-staff team of full-time and part-time professionals to execute summer and year-round programming in Webster, Wis.
- Oversee Camp Director and seasonal camp staff to ensure excellence in programming, training of staff, and managing a safe and secure, and inclusive environment for all.
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate programmatic components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Oversee and work closely with the Director of Operations regarding property, buildings, waterfront, general maintenance, and security.
- Provide leadership throughout the summer around any ‘crisis management with staff, campers, parents, and the Herzl community
- Look to leverage the facility to expand year-round opportunities for camp
FUNDRAISING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Oversee the Herzl Camp Advancement Director to:
- Expand local revenue-generating and fundraising activities to support existing programs and capital projects.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications – from online presence to external relations – goal of strengthening and expanding the Herzl brand.
- Support and participate in donor stewardship, annual benefit, and donor solicitations.
- Use external presence and relationships to cultivate new donors.
- Overall supervision of HR function and point person for employees to navigate HR issues. Ownership of compliance, creation and updating of policy/procedures. Responsible for staff development and engagement strategy.
PLANNING AND NEW BUSINESS
- Participate and architect an ongoing strategic business planning process for expansion into new markets – rentals/retreats, camper and staff recruiting
- Be an external local and national presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of our Camps as an exemplary model for national replication.
- Leverage the facility to expand year-round opportunities for camp
Experience and Qualifications
- Team player who is committed to fully executing Herzl Camp’s mission.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, creative, proactive, persistent, enthusiastic, and fun to be around!
- Track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- An unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Advanced degree preferred
- 10-15 years experience working in a year-round supervisory and program management role
- Experience working in a camping environment (overnight camping) a plus
- Experience and proven success managing/supporting a non-profit board
- Will need to reside in Twin Cities (or surrounding areas of Minneapolis/St. Paul)
- SMB (small-to-midsize) business and P+L management/oversight preferred
Herzl exists as a Zionist, Jewish summer camp to provide children with a safe, fun, meaningful experience and instill a love for Israel. We offer a close-knit and family-oriented atmosphere, which provides opportunities for each camper’s growth and development. Our traditional camp program, coupled with exceptional childcare, outstanding programming, and inclusive Jewish and Israeli community provide the ultimate camp experience.
Our core values define who and what we truly are:
- We make connections and nurture our Herzl family.
- We are pluralistic in our Judaism; we embrace the people, the land and the story of Israel.
- We provide tools, training and the opportunity to lead; transforming campers and staff into tomorrow’s passionate Jewish leaders.
- We celebrate individuality and inclusion; encouraging everyone to be part of something bigger than themselves.
- We embrace ongoing and inter-generational shared experiences – from the ridiculous to the sublime – to foster lasting friendships, build identity, community and a sense of belonging throughout our lives.
Herzl Camp maintains a healthy and safe environment where campers are encouraged to build a sense of respect for themselves and others, enhance their decision-making skills, increase their knowledge of Jewish and Israel history, build on decades of traditions and culture, discover new interests, develop their skills, and be as schticky as possible! Let’s have some fun.
Activities occur inside and outside, the employee is subject to both environmental conditions; however, the employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
BENEFITS AND PERKS OF WORKING AT HERZL CAMP
- Competitive base salary
- 20 days PTO and Paid Holidays
- Flexible Work Schedule
- Great Health Coverage
- Retirement plan with Company Matching
- Free childcare (infant through age 17) during the summer camp season
- Collaborative work environment
- Casual Dress – it’s summer camp!
- Summers outside at our fantastic campsite
- Continuous Training, Certifications, and Learning Opportunities
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by the Board of Directors, who reserves the right to revise or change the aforementioned job duties and responsibilities as necessary.
- This position is a full-time, salaried, permanent position eligible for Herzl Camp’s outstanding and competitive benefits package.
- Herzl Camp is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, disability, sexual orientation, military status, or national origin or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or applicable local law.
How To Apply:
Please email resume and supporting documents to [email protected].