Early Childhood Center Assistant Director
Based on experience
June 29, 2018
The Early Childhood Center (ECC) is one of many programs that make up the Sabes Jewish Community Center (JCC). Located on a 23-acre campus in a first-ring suburb of Minneapolis, the campus welcomes over 3000 daily visitors, and is a hub of community-building programs in the areas of youth, Inclusion and cultural arts. The Early Childhood Center, however, plays a unique role at the JCC, as its growth is a vital component of the organization’s strategic plans.
The ECC supports a “whole-child” curriculum that meets each child’s unique emotional, social, cognitive, physical, spiritual, and emerging cultural needs. Using the “learning through play” approach, it fosters within our children a positive self-concept, a joy for learning, and the ability to work and play well with others. Our program currently operates at full capacity, with about 150 children ages 6 weeks to 5 years old.
This Assistant Director will plan and execute appropriate activities; observe and evaluate children’s development; will work collaboratively as part of a team; and is responsible for the safety of the children and providing energetic, warm care. Additionally this individual will serve as a leader and mentor for the teaching staff as well as resource for families and parents.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist teachers in developing and implementing curriculum to meet the academic, social, emotional, and physical needs of the children and that align with developmentally appropriate practices that meet the Minnesota Early Learning Standards.
- Assist teachers in observing and keeping anecdotal records on children’s development, for conferences with parents twice a year. Conduct observations of specific children as requested by classroom teachers or Director. After specific observations provide feedback regarding observations and suggest strategies to address concerns.
- Observe health and safety of children and report any condition needing attention. Work with teachers to help children with eating, dressing, toileting, and sleeping habits.
- Develop and implement monthly ECFE programs and parent education opportunities.
- Work with Director to plan and implement staff meetings and development.
- Assist with teacher evaluations and development.
- Assist with additional classroom coverage as needed and coordinate last minute coverage needs.
- Provide high-quality customer service to our clients in a manner which reflects the mission and values of the Sabes JCC ECC.
- Provide a positive and nurturing environment for our children.
- Assist in the room maintenance to keep the classroom and center safe, clean, attractive, and in compliance with health and safety requirements.
- Provide support and share resources with co-workers.
- Know and follow the ECC health and behavior policies and guidelines.
- Foster relationships with families and maintain privacy of families and children.
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
- A passion for working with young children and their families.
- Bachelor’s degree in field such as Early Childhood Education, Child Development, or Elementary Education.
- 2+ years of supervisory/administrative experience in early childhood setting including staff supervision and fiscal management.
- Experience working with infants, toddlers and preschool children.
- Ability to model deep respect for children’s needs, relationships, thoughts, ideas, and emotions.
- Ability to collaboratively create a responsive and reflective early childhood practice that adapts curriculum to support children’s interests.
- Ability to partner with families and other practitioners to meet children’s medical, emotional, or learning needs.
- Ability to collaborate with staff to create a responsive, emergent curriculum.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, environmental stewardship, and social justice.
- Understanding of early learning standards for best practices for implementation and alignment for Kindergarten readiness.
- Ability to manage simultaneous, multiple projects, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to create positive relationships with both children and adults using strong, active and reflective listening skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow for successful interaction with people at all levels within the organization.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to relate to a highly diverse environment and to be a team player.
- Ability to function productively in a busy, active, joyful, creative, though sometimes stressful, environment; work independently and accept direction.
- Anticipate and prevent problems; utilize problem solving skills.
- Calm and positive attitude.
- Ability to engage in all classroom daily activities (lifting up to 35 pounds, pushing up to 100 pounds, bending/kneeling/sitting at child level (on floor) for various activities.
- Diversity Statement: All Sabes JCC career opportunities are open to all qualified individuals. We embrace diversity of, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, physical ability, marital, parental and economic status.
- Compensation: The school provides a competitive compensation package that includes benefits such as health insurance, retirement accounts, sick leave, paid time-off, and opportunities for professional development.
- Application Deadline: Friday, June 29, 2018
- Questions: Please contact Danya Kornblum, Chief Programming Officer, with questions: [email protected]
How To Apply:
Application Submission: Please submit resumes and any other professional portfolio materials to [email protected]