Open until filled
Mount Zion is a welcoming and vibrant Jewish spiritual home in Saint Paul, MN.
Mount Zion is recruiting an outstanding, mature, enthusiastic, dynamic youth advisor who relates well with high school youth, and possesses a strong commitment to Jewish life. The Youth Advisor serves as the primary advisor to Mount Zion’s high school youth group, SPORTY (Saint Paul Organization for Reform Temple Youth) including participation in NFTY-NO events. Youth group activities may be social, cultural, religious, athletic, fundraising, or social justice oriented. The SPORTY Advisor works under the direction and supervision of Mount Zion’s Youth Engagement Director. This is a part-time position (7-12 hours/week, plus weekend Kallot).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise and guide high school youth group, SPORTY
o Build and maintain positive relationships with Mount Zion youth.
o Support, mentor, and oversee SPORTY Board.
o Plan and lead leadership training and calendaring for the year at SPORTY Board Retreat in August
o Support ongoing teen and parent communication including all program logistics, publicity, and schedules via email, phone, and social media.
o Conduct outreach to engage non-engaged Temple youth, grades 9-12.
o Provide hands-on supervision of SPORTY youth at local and off-site activities to assure that the needs of the Mount Zion youth are addressed, and that their health, welfare, and safety are maintained.
o Submit information for Mount Zion’s bi-monthly newsletter, weekly email, and Shabbat Card.
o Promote and engage temple youth in NFTY-NO regional events and leadership opportunities.
o Promote and staff Twin Cities Jewish Youth (TCJY) events and attend TCJY Professionals meetings as available.
- With the support of Mount Zion’s education staff, ensure all events are inclusive and plan for necessary accommodations for participants at TYG and regional events.
- Arrange for transportation to and from youth group events.
- Arrange for adult supervision/volunteers as required.
- In coordination with Youth Engagement Director, oversee the use and upkeep of the youth group lounge, including staffing the lounge on Wednesdays from 4:00-6:00 pm and maintaining ‘Grover’s Grub’ snack sales.
- Meet on a regular basis with Mount Zion Temple’s Youth Engagement Director to discuss current programs and future plans.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned. For example, work with the Clergy, Youth Engagement Director and SPORTY RCVP to plan and lead the SPORTY Shabbat service, coordinate the High Holy Day Food Drive, and work with Mount Zion and NFTY Regional youth and staff to plan NFTY-NO Fall Kallah hosted by Mount Zion in November.
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
- Understanding of the Reform Movement. NFTY Alum encouraged to apply.
- Well-versed in stages of child/young adult development.
- 2 years of Jewish camping and/or youth leadership experience working with children in grades 8 to 12 preferred.
- Strong communication and administrative skills, including project and time management skills.
- College graduate preferred. Candidates with majors in education, Jewish studies, youth development encouraged to apply.
- Must be at least 21 years old.
It is also possible and desirable for the person who fills this position to be a teacher on Wednesday nights for the 8th/9th grade program from 5:45-7:15 p.m. (additional compensation) and to participate as staff for other youth programming and retreats as available (additional compensation).
How To Apply:
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and list of references to Liza Henry at email@example.com.