With voting underway in Minnesota as well as a number of other states, TC Jewfolk has invited the chairs of Jewish organizations supporting Vice President Joe Biden and President Donald Trump to present opinion pieces as to which candidate is worthy of your vote. Jewfolk, Inc., TC Jewfolk’s parent organization, is a 501(c)3 non-profit, and therefore does not endorse any candidate in any race.
As Chair of MN Jews4Joe, let me get right to the point – this country cannot afford another four years of Donald Trump. The questions that will decide this election can be answered through the instruction of our core Jewish values. With more than 200,000 (and counting) of our fellow citizens killed by Covid-19, with a President who knew of the lethality of the virus and lied to the American people, it is time for a change. The dream for our youth and the middle class is disappearing. Our seniors tremble in their houses, afraid of the virus and cuts to Social Security. Trump is out of touch, infected, blind to the homeless, unfeeling to the sick. The strongest amongst us are dying. Trump’s solution – he takes no responsibility. Anti-Semitism is on the rise. In Trump’s American, there are “very fine people” on both sides.
Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Kamala Harris will reprioritize the American family, where young and old, sick and healthy, rich and poor matter equally. The tradition of Democratic Presidents, which Biden will continue, is one of inclusiveness, for minorities, different ethnicities, for women. This election, who we are and what we want to become is on the ballot. Biden will free us from confusion, division and eventual fiscal disaster. We must demand government based on reasonableness and rationality, not conspiracy theories and bigotry. We cannot allow any leader to divide us. Surely, Trump will not bring us together. Biden means unity for the health of the community. Biden speaks for the minorities who continue to strive to enter the mainstream. Difference in race and ethnicities are the mosaic of America, which Trump despises. For the young demanding a future, for the seniors in need of social security, Trump threatens their future. Trump thrives on greed and stupidity. What about the environment? To Trump, global warming is a hoax. Without change, we are condemned to repeat the mistakes of abusive past of nature.
Trump has failed to keep himself or his family free from the virus. How can he keep the rest of us safe? He has failed to keep his promises of a greater America. Today, this country is divided more than ever. Our enemies see opportunity. Our allies are confused. Unemployment, massive deficits, and rising debt threatens our future. Even investment bankers on Wall Street see the danger of four more years of Trump. The threats against this country mount. Trump’s misplaced foreign policy based on withdrawal from the world-stage places us in greater danger. Trump has no real commitment to our friends or ideals of democracy. We are weaker today, less safe and worse off than we were four years ago. Another four years will be worse. What kind of Supreme Court?
Biden believes in only the government we need but insists on all the government we need, a government that is fair and reasonable, one that will provide relief for the middle-class, shelter for the homeless, and a job for all who can have one, care for elderly and infirm, renewed commitment to civil and human rights and real hope in these troubling times. We must vote for Biden to save our healthcare, to reduce gun violence, to end Trump’s philosophy of me-first, reassert shared sacrifice, a sharing of benefits and burdens for all, of public-private partnerships, common sense and compassion, empathy for one American family. Biden will restore the American principle of compassion and democracy, for immigrants and pioneers, for women as leaders, and remind us as Democrats and Americans how futures are built.
Ben Weisbuch, Esq., M.A.
Chair, MN Jews4Joe
As a Jew, and life-long resident of Minneapolis, I will be voting next month to re-elect President Trump, based upon his inspiring record of achievements during his term.
Notably, the President has: rebuilt the American military; destroyed the ISIS caliphate; restored robust American economic growth through tax cuts and deregulation; secured permanent funding for Historically Black Colleges and Universities; enacted criminal justice reform; attracted $75 billion in private investment for Opportunity Zones in economically depressed areas; taken decisive action to fight the pandemic by banning travel from China and Europe and by mobilizing America’s industrial base and working to develop a vaccine in record time; pushed for rational immigration reform; renegotiated disastrous trade deals; spurred American energy production; reformed the VA and provided choice to veterans; strongly endorsed pro-life policies (a Jewish value); appointed principled jurists Neil Gorsuch and Brent Kavanaugh, and nominated Amy Coney Barrett, to the Supreme Court; denounced racists and hate groups like the KKK; decried the vile anti-Semitism spewing forth from Democrats like Ilhan Omar; and vigorously supported the state of Israel.
Indeed, President Trump is the most pro-Israel president in American history. Consider the following facts:
- He formally recognized Jerusalem as the eternal and undivided capital of Israel;
- He moved the U.S. Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem;
- He recognized Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights;
- He withdrew the United States from the disastrous Obama Iran nuclear deal;
- He ordered the execution of ISIS founder Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, as part of his commitment to defeating ISIS;
- He ordered the execution of the Iranian terrorist Gen. Kassem Soleimani;
- He signed the Taylor Force Act, to stop American economic aid to the Palestinian Authority until the PA stops paying stipends through its “martyrs’ fund” to individuals who committed acts of terrorism and to families of deceased terrorists;
- He ordered the United States to stop aid to UNRWA, representing a cut of $300 million;
- His administration rescinded a 40-year-old US policy that charged Israel with violating international law by building civilian settlements in the West Bank. His new policy declares that the establishment of settlements is not inconsistent with international law, and is a political issue to be solved by negotiations between Israel and Palestinians;
- He successfully negotiated diplomatic recognition of Israel by the UAE and Bahrain, and, as a result, was nominated for a Noble Peace Prize;
- He has spoken out eloquently against anti-Semitism, proclaiming in State of the Union addresses that, “We must never ignore the vile poison of anti-Semitism or those who spread its venomous creed. With one voice, we must confront this hatred anywhere and everywhere it occurs;”
- He issued an Executive Order to fight against the rise of anti-Semitism, especially on college campuses. The Order makes clear that Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 applies to anti-Semitic discrimination based on race, color, or national origin.
Regarding Joe Biden, Jews should know that he reached a despicable new low by comparing President Trump to Nazi Minister of Propaganda Joseph Goebbels. Jews should know that, while in the Senate, Biden threatened Prime Minister Begin with cutting U.S. aid to Israel unless Begin changed his policy on the West Bank. And Jews should remember when President Obama and Biden boycotted Prime Minister Netanyahu when he addressed Congress.
For all these compelling reasons, I will proudly vote to re-elect President Donald Trump and Vice-President Mike Pence, true friends of Israel and the Jewish people, so that we may assure Israel’s security, and nobly save our beloved country.
Mark R. Miller
Chair of the Minnesota Chapter of the Republican Jewish Coalition