THIS IS ABSOLUTE MADNESS.
Breakfast is – without a doubt – the best meal of the day.
Proof: McDonald’s Breakfast Menu. Tony’s Diner. Sonic’s Breakfast Menu. Perkins. IHOP. Original Pancake House.
I would eat the breakfast items from those menus any and all times of the day.
At work, I’m constantly tortured by my coworkers bringing in Bruegger’s sandwiches, or Qdoba breakfast burritos. (Yeah, you know who you are- Kelly, Amanda, and Andre.)
Lucky me, I’ve devised a recipe that will make them drool over my breakfast for once.
Cinnamon Breakfast Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 tbs dark brown sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups Silk (NON-DAIRY) creamer
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- Cinnamon to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and line a 9x9ish pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugars. Add the “cream” and vanilla. The dough will be thick, moist, and sticky.
- Lightly flour a flat surface, then pat the dough into a long, thick rectangle. Sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon over the rectangle.
- Cut the dough into strips, and roll them into pinwheels. Place said pinwheels into the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes. (Or until a light brown color.)
I initially made a biscuit version of this, but realized it made more sense to just roll them. Because I did use dark brown sugar and powdered sugar in the dough, it is very sweet. However, my mother gave it her stamp of approval.
(Cinnamon Biscuits- college kid tested, mother approved.)
This was really easy to whip up. And because there is no yeast involved, you literally bake them on the spot. DO NOT try to store the dough in the fridge overnight- it will not rise AT ALL in the oven.
I will definitely make these again!
If anyone has a better recipe for the biscuit base, I’d love to hear what you do.
Big shout out to The Kitchn blog for the recipe I based my “rolls” on.