1. Jews for Jesus Founder Dies. Tablet Mag. Now will his followers finally stop harassing us at bus stops? Don’t hold your breath.
2. Report: U.S. Jewish theater shutters Madoff play over Wiesel’s objections. Haaertz. Fascinating – a playwright thinks she’s honoring Wiesel but gets the threat of legal action instead. You can’t blame Wiesel for his reaction – would you want people to see a play all about how you lost tens of millions of dollars, and to Madoff at that?
3. Jewish leaders chastise UWM over recent clash. JSOnline. A swastika is chalked near the Jewish Student hangout space at UW-Milwaukee. A Muslim student hits a Jew. And the school does… not enough.
4. Israeli Activists Protest Bar Mitzvah for Rahm Emanuel’s Son. ABC News. Can’t these crazy right-wingers get this straight? You don’t protest a kid’s Bar Mitzvah, regardless of who their dad, or grandpa (remember Goldstone?) is. It’s the kid’s day to humiliate himself and become a Jewish man. F–k off.
5. Specter: A Pro-Israel Career Comes to an End. Jewish Exponent. Jewish Senator in Pa. loses the Dem primary after 5-terms in Congress. Really, did he think he could win the Dem primary when he had only been a Dem since April 2009? US Rep Sestak won the primary- here’s his solid statement on Israel.
6. Blumenthal wins Dem Senate nomination days after Vietnam controversy. The Hill Blog. Connecticut Attorney (and MOT) Richard Blumenthal lies about his Vietnam service and then gets the Democratic endorsement for CT’s Senate race. Good luck brother – the Repubs are going to tear you apart.
7. Arson attack on German synagogue raises alert. JTA. Vandals scrawl on a letter left at this synagogue dating from 1034(!) that “until you give the Palestinians peace, we will not give you peace.” What does that even mean? And what if the Palestinians don’t want peace? Will you still firebomb our synagogues?
(Sign on once Shabbat ends – or Sunday once your hangover passes -to get the hottest Jewish news from the week before. We read the news so you can skim it. )
I would agree with you about Rahmbo’s son’s BM if it were held at a private site in the US, but according to the article he wants to hold it in public at the Western Wall in Jerusalem. Moreover the article says, “the site sits beyond the historic Green Line… [and] U.S. policy still classifies the area as ‘occupied territory’ and officials are discouraged from spending time there…”
A protest at a public event is a free speech issue. I’m in favor.
The Western Wall is a holy Jewish religious site. Having a Bar Mitzvah there should be considered a Jewish ritual observance, not a call to the religious fools on the right to launch their catcalls (almost seems like Rahm is a woman trying to read Torah, doesn’t it?) or to the soft-heads on the left to politic that the most holy remnant of the Temple is just “occupied territory.” There is free speech and then there is derech eretz. Grow up and respect the concept of time and place.