A lot of crazy #&#%$* happens in the Jewish world each week. Don’t miss these stories on the movie “Dinner for Schmucks” (trailer below), Heeb’s deaf joke, death threats to Israelis (shocking!), tech-savvy shuls, and more.
1. Gallaudet University Gets a Deaf Jewish President” (Heeb). Read (or try to) the much-criticized article. Does the author go a bit too far? Even for Heeb?
2. “Death threats silence Independence Day Singer” (JC.com). Arab-Israeli singer pulls out of London concert ’cause of death threats. Puke.
3. “Answering a Call to Prayers.” (JC.com) Shul gets creative with phone-in prayers. For real.
4. “New York’s Chasidic rebels learn to be secular.” (JC.com) Hip-Orthos in Manhattan.
5. “Malcolm McLaren, Seminal Pop Culture Icon, Dies at 64.” Jewlicious. R.I.P. British Punk movement rockstar. Another cool Jew bites the dust.
6. “Burton Joseph, Lawyer in First Amendment Cases, is Dead at 79.” NYTimes. Joseph is the reason so many of our grandparents hate the ACLU – because he and them took on the case of the rights of Nazis to march in Skokie. That was one gutsy Jew. May his memory be a blessing.
7. “Dinner for Schmucks Trailer Doesn’t Star Sacha Baron Cohen” (Heeb). Hilarious-looking new movie. And the title is Yiddish. You can’t go wrong with that. Here’s the trailer: