A lot of crazy #&#%$* happens in the Jewish world each week. Don’t miss these stories on: a Florida thief blames the Holocaust, a hot new Muslim comedy about a Jew, Israel’s sex trade, crunchy Jewy food, and a Shabbat “I Got a Feeling.”
1. The “Hide and Hoard” Defense: Blame the Holocaust Survivors. Heeb. A Florida big time thief (um… 10 million dollars stashed in foreign accounts) blames his family’s tendency to hoard food during the Holocaust for his personality disorder. Classy.
2. The hot new comedy movie “The Infidel” is slowly making its way to Midwest theaters (we hope). You can see it in England, and it was showing at NYC’s Tribeca Film Festival this week. It’s a comedy about a Muslim who discovers that he’s actually a Jew. Watch the trailer here. Here’s a review/interview from NYC’s Daily Beast. TC Daily Planet says you might be able to watch the movie On Demand through your cable provider. I’ll let you know if we learn about any Midwest showings.
3. Because We Were Slaves: Israel’s Sex Trade. Jewlicious. An impressive article, and far more serious than Jewlicious’ usual fare. Don’t miss it.
4. AJWS starts line of kosher fair trade products. The Fundermentalist. It’s about time – why should we have to pick between being crunchy and Jewy? And is Magen Tzedek next?
5. If you didn’t think the Black Eyed Peas’ “I Got a Feeling” was Jewish enough (more Mazel Tovs and L’Chaims in that song than in any other pop hit I’ve ever heard), here’s an a cappella version that will have your bubbe kvelling.
Leora wrote: “An impressive article, and far more serious than Jewlicious’ usual fare. Don’t miss it.”
Thanks for the shout out and all but what’s this about our usual fare? Sure we have our fair share of light hearted content, but I also just wrote a post on greed and corruption in Jerusalem and even our post about Zombie Nazi Vampires brought up some serious philosophical issues. Now lets play nice, ok?
We don’t get paid and we’re a group blog and there’s really no such thing as our “usual fare.” I think you need to visit Jewlicious.com every day and figure it out for yourself.
Every day. Got it?
Thanks CK. Btw – I LOVE JEWLICIOUS! (Is that bad journalism to write in caps?)
And I do read almost all your articles (or at least skim most), thanks to Google Reader. I’ll try to pay more attention to the serious ones though, and not generalize about them. And I’ll make sure to check out your most recent posts that you mentioned.
That’s awesome that you’re also a group blog of people not getting paid to write great stuff (like us! We’re not alone!). We should chat sometime so I can pick your brains about how you make it happen. 🙂
Any time Leora! Here’s a tip… get a hold of the competitive filter in your Google ads account so that you don’t run ads from scientology.org! Otherwise, I too enjoy your blog. Let me know when you’re in Israel and I will let you know when I an in St. Paul/Minnesota!
We’re running ads from Scientology.org? Damn. I’ll try to see if I can block just that web address. Oh Google, love and hate, love and hate.
I’ll definitely hit you up next time I’m in the Holy Land. As for you coming to St. Paul, that would be fabu, but I won’t hold my breath. If you’re ever here to see a long lost cousin though, you know who to email for a night on the town.