A lot of crazy %$&# happens in the Jewish world each week. Don’t miss these stories (and videos) on: Jewish World Cup soccer players; Ahmadinejad spews hate, the Helen Thomas’ fan club; klezmer-hip hop star Socalled’s new movie; hateful Brits; Rabbi Raskas and more.
1. Two Jewish SoCal Soccer Players Head for World Cup. Haaretz. To those who think Jews can’t play sports, in two weeks we get Orthodox Rabbinical student and boxer Yuri Foreman in Yankee stadium, and today Benny Feilhaber and Jonathan Bornstein joined the American soccer team to kick British ass (okay, the final score was 1-1, but we didn’t lose) on the field in South Africa today in the World Cup.
2. Temple of Aaron’s Emeritus Rabbi Bernie Raskas died today. Definitely a loss for Minnesota and the world’s Jewish community.
3. Rabbi who filmed Helen Thomas told to ‘go back in the oven’. Haaretz. Yeah, because we really hate it when people expose anti-Semites for what they are. Puke.
4. Rhyme and reason: A documentary looks at the weird and wonderful world of Montreal rapper Socalled. CBC News. Klezmer and hip hop? Only Socalled can do it. Read the article, or check out the trailer for his new movie, premiering this weekend in Montreal.
5. Ahmadinejad says Israel ‘doomed’. In case you were starting to like him…
6. Soliciting murder accused pair are ‘proud neo-Nazis’. BBC. The men wrote internet postings telling people to kill Jews. Excuse me? WTF!
7. A neat message for all those Jews who say some of us aren’t really Jews. The song/video is “Ani Yehudi” or “I am Jewish.” Bordering on hippie, but it’s still neat. Watch it (w/subtitles):
Ed. Note: We hope that you, like us, want TC Jewfolk to stick around for a very long time. So we’re asking for a few minutes of your time so we can learn more about you. Oh, and if warm fuzzies aren’t enough motivation, maybe this is: the awesome folks at Parasole Restaurants (think Chino Latino, Salut, Il Gato and Burger Jones to name a few) have generously donated a $50 gift card for us to give away to one lucky survey taker. Your chance to enter is at the end of the survey. Click here to take the survey.
The study on Jewish Ancestry, http://www.cell.com/AJHG/fulltext/S0002-9297%2810%2900246-6?large_figure=true, or, described in more general terms here, http://www.newsweek.com/2010/06/03/the-dna-of-abraham-s-children.html, is also an interesting piece of news, both from the political and from the historical perspective.
This study clearly demonstrates that we are indeed a single and unique nation, and puts to rest all of the conspiracy theories heavily lauded by the far-left revisionist and minimalist pundits that insist that we are a mere middle-age “fabrication”. It also provides a very strong support to our written history, in addition to the multitude of archaeological evidence that is already available.