Middle School Hebrew Language Teacher
Heilicher Minneapolis Jewish Day School
Part-time, 6.5 hours/week
Open Until Filled
The Amos and Celia Heilicher Minneapolis Jewish Day School is seeking a part-time Middle School Hebrew Teacher for the 2021-2022 academic year. Heilicher is a K-8 community Jewish Day School open to all families who want to pursue an excellent secular and Jewish education for their children.
The ideal candidate will be a creative, engaging educator with proficiency in speaking, reading and writing in Hebrew. He/she should have a record of creating strong relationships with students and be comfortable teaching in a pluralistic environment emphasizing Jewish identity development and experiential education techniques.
Heilicher teachers are responsible for creating safe classroom environments that help develop each student’s skills and promote a growth mindset. Teachers are responsible for developing curriculum, creating lesson plans, grading, delivering classroom instruction, and communicating effectively with parents and colleagues.
Hebrew teachers report directly to the Jewish Living and Learning Director. As with all Heilicher Faculty and Staff, Hebrew teachers are expected to be collaborative team players, innovative thinkers, cheerleaders of the staff and school, and agents of academic innovation. Hebrew teachers are expected to model professional practices and support the school’s mission within the context of a pluralistic, inclusive Jewish community.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and deliver inspiring, differentiated instruction in Hebrew language
- Maintain an organized classroom infrastructure and provide an orderly, productive learning environment
- Provide accommodations and modifications to support the success of all students
- Continually assess student progress toward mastery of standards and keep students and parents well informed of student progress by collecting and tracking data
- Understand and enjoy the academic, social and behavioral characteristics of middle school students and can create a respectful learning environment including setting and maintaining appropriate standards of student behavior
- Work cooperatively with other teachers in creating and implementing units and lessons
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communications skills in both Hebrew and English
- Be familiar with current Israeli popular culture
- Operate as an advocate for, and supporter of, inquiry and problem-based learning
- Foster student engagement in activities that incorporate different elements of STEAM
- Uphold and incorporate Heilicher school mission and core values
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be comfortable working with a variety of technology and computer applications including but not limited to Smartboard technology, iPads, Chromebooks, learning management systems, video conferencing, Google Suite, and Flipgrid
- Act as a steward of the school in the larger community
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to continually evaluate and improve mastery of instructional, culture-building, and leadership skills.
- Establish and maintain a positive sense of community amongst the faculty
- Participate in school-wide professional development, and seek continual feedback and coaching to develop as a teacher
- Attend all faculty and team meetings
- Adhere to school curricular initiatives
- Write a bi-monthly newsletter to parents
- Attend two parent-teacher conferences and write two sets of report cards
- Maintain proper health and safety guidelines on school campus and during school hours
Experience and Qualifications
- BA or MA preferred
- Successful experience teaching courses in Hebrew
- Experience and/or training in differentiated instruction, technology integration, and working with students with diverse learning needs preferred.
- Uphold and exemplify the Minneapolis Jewish Federation’s mission and vision
- Uphold and exemplify the leadership and behavioral competencies of the organization
- Execute professional, high-level customer service, both internally and externally
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings
- Carry out all other duties as deemed necessary to achieve organizational and team-specific goals
How To Apply:
To apply, please submit a resume and cover Letter to Dr. David Ackerman, Director of Jewish Living and Learning, at [email protected].