What’s the Bleep is a few hours late, but I had to get the score on the Foreman-Cotto boxing match before I sent this out….
A lot of crazy $&#@ happens in the Jewish world each week. Don’t miss these stories on: Yuri Foreman’s boxing loss; Egypt denies visas to Jew-lovers; White House reporter tells Jews to ‘go home to Germany’; the hard stats on interfaith marriages; a satire on Israel in 2015, and more.
1. The biggest Jewish news this week isn’t Gaza. It’s Yuri Foreman. The Orthodox Jew studying to be a rabbi who fought – but lost – LATE last night at Yankee Stadium in the biggest boxing match of the last 30 years. Yankee Stadium slugfest: Miguel Cotto beats junior middleweight champ Yuri Foreman. Read about it. BTW – that man is going to be a kick-ass rabbi.
2. Speaking about Gaza, however. Egypt to revoke citizenship of men wedded to Israelis. Um, yeah. WTF! Read the details, sounds like it won’t happen automatically, which is good, but Ynet says it’s not inconceivable that the Flotilla crisis in Gaza affected this ruling by Egypt’s supreme court. (By the way, it sort of makes you happy with our Supreme Court, no matter how we complain about them on either side of the political bench. Can you fathom this kind of discrimination by a country’s top legal body? Puke).
3. And in other news of crazy people saying stupid, discriminating things, did you hear that aged White House press icon Helen Thomas thinks that Israelis should should “get the hell out of Palestine” and “go back home to Poland, Germany, America and everywhere else.” She has since apologized, but for what? For being a racist piece of s—? I mean who says that? Prez. Obama should kick her out of the White House press corps. White House press icon Helen Thomas, 89, apologizes for saying Jews should ‘get out of Palestine’.
Watch Helen Thomas tell the Jews to “go home” to Germany…
4. In interesting news, but on a totally different note. Interfaith marriages are rising fast, but they’re failing fast too. WashPost. Read the article, and let us know your thoughts in the comments.
5. News Flash 2015: Eradicated Israel Still Blamed for World Problems. HuffPost. Wow. Read this piece!!!! Brilliant and terrifying at the same time.
(Photo: Wikimedia Commons)
I find it interesting that none of the coverage of Ms. Thomas’ extremely offensive remarks (Germany? Really?) began with “Lebanese-American reporter Helen Thomas said today…”
As I recall, a few years back, all sorts of mainstream reporting began with comments like “Jewish American Paul Wolfowitz…” or “Jewish Senator Joe Lieberman…” or “Jewish Reporter Bill Safire…”
I guess their Jewish status must be a whole lot more relevant to every action they ever take than Helen Thomas’ Arab background(both her parents were Lebanese) is to her statements on the Arab-Israeli conflict, as no newspaper I’ve seen so far has even bothered to mention it.
On the bright side, I am happy to provide the update that as of this morning, Ms. Thomas has resigned her position, effective immediately (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/06/gibbs-helen-thomas-remarks-off.html).
She has also been dropped by her speaking agency (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/dc/report-thomas-dropped-by-agenc.html), so let’s hope she is not given any more opportunities to spew her hateful comments at unsuspecting audiences.