TC Jewfolk’s Top 5 Reasons Why You Should See This Show:
- TC Jewfolk is giving away TWO FREE PAIRS of tickets to a performance of your choice. More details below.
- The show is super Jewish. From the musical’s Composer/Lyricist William Finn (Jewish) to Rebecca Feldman who conceived the show (Jewish) to Rachel Sheinkin,who won a Tony musical for writing the book for the musical, to Director James Lapine. And there are hilarious Jewish references throughout. Like the kid who only makes it to the finals because the top 2 spellers in his school had to go to a Bar Mitzvah that day. As Finn told Jweekly “”I love being Jewish,” says Finn. “I’m just a big Jew, and a fat Jew too.”
- If, like my Bubbe, you hate shows with intermissions, this one’s for you. The musical comedy keeps its energy to the end with no breaks.
- If, like me, you love audience interaction, improv, and breaking “the fourth wall,” don’t miss this show. Audience interaction is a key component of this play, including bringing audience members up onto the stage to spell with the actors. A handful of local celebrity spellers have been seen to join in the touring Spelling Bee performances, the most famous being “Al Sharpton,” who performed in the 2005 Broadway run. I wonder which celebrity will join the Minneapolis production?….
- The Ordway is a phenomenal space to see theater. And Theater Latte Da is an innovative and nationally-renown musical theater company. Need I say more?
So… You Want to Know How to Win Those Free Tickets?
It’s easy. Just answer this question in the comments to this post before midnight this Thursday, September 29th and you’ll be entered to win a FREE PAIR OF TICKETS to see a performance of your choice of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” at the Ordway, October 6-30. Which local celebrity would you like to see on stage at the Ordway spelling at “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” and what word would you like them to spell? There is no correct answer – we’ll draw the winners randomly!
Get a Taste of the Musical in this Video From the 2005 Broadway Production:
(Photo: Erin M)
Andrew Zimmern – Nacetylpaminophenol.
Mark Dayton,spell antidisestablishmentarianism.
Michele Bachman spell “human papillomavirus”
Bruce Schneier – spell “veracious”
And the winners are…. Rachel and BW! Congrats! I’ll email you with the information to get your tickets. The rest of you, buy tickets to this awesome show!