Open until filled
Beth El is a traditional, Conservative congregation in suburban Minneapolis. The Beth El USY chapter is the country’s founding USY chapter and was recognized as the International USY Chapter of the Year in 2013. The Youth Director is a high visibility professional responsible for all leadership and programming for tweens and teens in grades 2-12. The Director will provide leadership to the high school student board and interact with the adult-based Youth Commission to create and carry out meaningful and inspiring programming and provide leadership and personal growth opportunities to the student members. The position is a full time, professional position and requires an average of 40 hours per week, including frequent nights and weekends. This position will require some travel, including weekends away. At times during the year, this position may require greater than 40 hours per week; while at others, the workload may be slightly lighter. Position includes full health benefits package.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of programming for all organizations
- Coordination of calendar and programs
- Execution of major programs including but not limited to USY Dinner Theater, Purim Carnival, YOW, Heschel Retreat, and Teen High Holiday programs
- Prepare and manage the youth programming budget while working within the Synagogue structure
- Mentor and coach students to plan and execute programs while improving leadership skills of these students
- Significantly increase membership, participation, and engagement in all youth organizations
- Provide support, leadership and direct supervision for any staff members
- Maintain positive communication with parents, students, staff, and overall community
- Facilitate chapter board meetings
- Participate in Youth Commission and Synagogue meetings
- Maintain regular communication with all constituents around upcoming activities, etc.
- Provide weekly updates and reviews with Rabbi
- Develop opportunities for students to represent Beth El in the broader community
- Attend Kinnus, YOW, and other regional events as required
- Seek out additional local opportunities for students to participate and lead community events and activities
- Ensure Youth Department has a presence in the greater secular and Jewish community
- Serve as a role model for students both secularly and Jewishly, including participation in Shabbat morning activities
- Create and maintain personal relationships with Beth El youth
Experience and Qualification Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven leadership skills and ability to serve as a role model and mentor for youth
- Experience working with teens, with a strong background in informal Jewish education
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Self-motivated with a strong vision for student participation, engagement, and growth
- High energy, optimistic, creative and passionate about making a difference in the future of Jewish youth
- Conversant in all forms of social media as well as intermediate computer skills
The ideal candidate will be able to make a two-plus year commitment to this position. Potential career paths from this position within Beth El could include additional teaching or student leadership opportunities and possible future opportunities within the greater Twin Cities Jewish community.
The position commences in Summer 2018. If interested, please apply immediately by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
How To Apply:
If interested, please apply immediately by sending a cover letter and resume to [email protected].