Hanukkah is a great example of the Jewish Holiday motto “They tried to kill us, we won, let’s eat.”
If you want the rest of the details for the holiday – you know, questions like Who tried to kill us? How did we win? What do we eat? Where can I buy great Hanukkah gifts in the Twin Cities? What are cool Hanukkah events in Minneapolis and St. Paul? – don’t miss TC Jewfolk’s 2009 Hanukkah blog series.
Mark your calendars. Over the next three weeks, you can expect to see these great posts (and more!) by TC Jewfolk’s roster of local Jewish writers:
1. Our Noshin‘ Jewish food columnist will whip up and give us the recipes for Sweet Potato Latkes (already posted so you can try it out), Easy Sufganiyot (traditional holiday jelly doughnuts), and a Hanukkah meal of pan-fried fish, beet and goat cheese salad and an Almond Citrus Olive-Oil Cake for dessert.
2. Minnesota Mamaleh, our Jewish mama dishing on life in Minnesota, will write about how to walk the Christmas-Hanukkah line with your kids on multiple levels as she teaches her young daughters not to tell their non-Jewish friends the “truth” about Santa, makes sure they don’t take the “naughty vs. nice” idea too seriously, and helps them not be offended by people who tell them “Merry Christmas.”
3. Alef List, our A-List for Jewish happenings, will be out tomorrow with its Hanukkah edition and suggestions for hip places to grab wine and a latke these next few weeks.
4. To better understand the meaning and practice of the holiday of Hanukkah, local Jewish playwright Jenna Zark will weigh in with her always stunning take on any Jewish holiday, and Jewish educator Sean Herstein will talk about miracles, on Hanukkah, and in Judaism generally.
5. We’ll have a contest for one lucky TC Jewfolk reader to win $25 to Brochins Judaica Gift and Book Shop, and another contest to win a free pair of tickets to see Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins at the Minnesota Jewish Theatre.
Don’t miss a single post. Click here to sign up and get every TC Jewfolk post through RSS, email, Facebookor Twitter.